Saturday, May 5, 2012

The Utah Experience




The hubs and I met for coffee with a mentor of ours this past week. He shared about a friend in Utah who was planting a church in a city well known for polygamy. For those of you who are reading and are unfamiliar with the Fundamentalist Church of Latter Day Saints (FLDS) you can read about them here. As we were talking, he was sharing how the elders of the church are marrying off young girls to men, performing the marriage ceremony in the girl's absence and later letting the girl's father know that she was married the night before. The girl then has no choice and is given over to her "husband" and is rarely seen from again by her family.She is a slave. He also shared how the leader of the group has forbidden sexual relationships between a husband and wife unless it is for procreation purposes. The only way they would be able to enforce such a ridiculous law they would, of course,have to witness any sexual intercourse that would take place. The elders watch. 

My stomach tightened as I heard him share about what was going on. These women (and by women, I mean girls who are in the age group, of say, Justin Beiber's fan club) are slaves. The young boys are being dropped off at the Arizona/Utah border in the middle of the night because there aren't enough girls to go around. Husbands and wives have to perform for an audience in the name "doing the will of the Prophet". This isn't happening in a third world country with ancient customs. This is happening in our back yard. 

My heart has been heavy since hearing these things. It's not the first time I heard stories like this. It isn't uncommon to see a polygamist family every now and then here. There are shows that try to downplay the rape, incest, and slavery that takes place within the walls of many of these homes. Some people try to protest laws that outlaw polygamy because it's messing with their rights. To that I say protest on behalf of the women and children who are trapped and stop making this a political debate. Sometimes it feels like I live in a bubble because before I moved to Utah, I didn't think much about the news reports when the raid happened at their compound. I didn't hear much about it to be honest but that all changed when we heard the stories here. If this is the first time you are reading about this, I ask that you inform yourself about what is going on. I also ask that you pray. Pray for those that are trapped. Pray for those that are brave enough to escape. Pray for those on the front lines who are putting themselves in danger by helping the escapees rebuild their lives. Pray that this might end. 
Overlooking the city at Ensign Peak last year

2 comments:

  1. Hi Lindsey, that is crazy that you live in Utah, I'm in Springville. I have lived in Utah most of my life (except the 2 years in high school I was in Stockton :) and have only seen someone who looked polygamist a couple of times, I'm sure there are some more that aren't as noticeable. I agree that what goes on with the FLDS is so terrible! I wish I knew how to better help them. I'm not a fan of how the t.v. shows depict a sense of normalcy, when the majority of polygamist are so extreme and abusive. I think its probably a good thing that the Utah officials didn't let the TLC show stay in Utah. Since I'm LDS it also bothers me the confusion that occurs when people think that "Mormons" are polygamist, so for the record, they are completely against it :) Congrats on your cute baby, I'm sure you are such a great mom!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Dione! It is crazy we're both in Utah! The first time we came here to visit I saw a woman dressed in pioneer type clothes and the coiffed hairstyle. We were at a park with some friends and their kids and she wouldn't make eye contact or respond when we tried to say hi. It was sad. And don't worry, I'm well aware that the LDS church is not for polygamy! FLDS is a whole other thing and I get that. :) I hope things are going well for you! Your babies are adorable!!

    ReplyDelete